Who’s the Best Plastic Surgeon for You?
You don’t always have an opportunity to “interview” the doctors you see. For example, if you go the ER, you get the doctor on that day. If you go in to the hospital with a bad fracture that needs surgery, you get the orthopedic surgeon on call that day, too. But when you look for a plastic surgeon in Chicago you get to do some research and try to find the best one for you. If you’ve ever done some online dating, it’s kind of similar. You check out their profile online, look at some pictures, and if you like what you see you make plans to meet face to face.
When trying to find the right plastic surgeon for you, there are lot of things to consider, especially board certification, experience, and reviews. But what about chemistry? The best plastic surgeon for you will be one you feel comfortable with, who you feel listens and understands what you want from the procedures you choose. There will be a lot “team work” between you and the plastic surgeon deciding on what is best for you and your body. You’ll discuss options and outcomes and because in plastic surgery for cosmetic reasons, no one procedure is a “one size fits all” so a lot of collaboration between you, the surgeon and the office staff will take place. The first consultation with a plastic surgeon is probably the most important one you’ll have.
After you’ve met with a plastic surgeon there are still some important questions we recommend you ask yourself (or the surgeon if you haven’t already). Here are few we suggest:
- Is this surgeon qualified to perform the surgery I am considering? If they are performing plastic surgery, they need to be board certified in plastic surgery by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Do a search online at the board’s website to make sure.
- Did this physician truly listen to me as I explained my thoughts about the improvement I am seeking?
- Can I work with this person? Do I think we can communicate well? Will I enjoy seeing them over the course of my surgery and recovery?
- Is the office staff professional, friendly and accommodating?
- Was my complete medical history taken and examined in detail?
- Was I provided with a thorough understanding of all options available (both surgical and non-surgical)?
- Was I pressured in any way to proceed with surgery?
- Was I shown photographic examples of surgical outcomes that give me confidence?
- Did he or she understand me and are they able to provide exactly what I am looking for?
- Does this surgeon perform aesthetic surgery exclusively or is aesthetic surgery a small percentage of the practice?
Choosing the best Chicago plastic surgeon for you may require a little more work and involvement than other doctor visits but it is well worth the time and effort.